Forum » General » News and Announcements » Eagles training camp position preview: Cornerback."

Eagles training camp position preview: Cornerback."

•  />Skip to main contentclockmenumore-arrownoyesBleeding Green Nation homepageHorizontal - WhiteBleeding Green Nationa Philadelphia Eagles communityFollow Bleeding Green Nation online:Follow Bleeding Green Nation on TwitterFollow Bleeding Green Nation on FacebookLog in or sign upLog InSign UpSite searchSearchSearchBleeding Green Nation main menuFanpostsFanshotsEaglesOddsAboutMastheadCommunity GuidelinesStubHubMoreAll 321 blogs on Horizontal - WhiteFanposts Fanshots Eagles StoriesScheduleRosterStatsYahoo Eagles NewsYahoo Eagles Team PageYahoo Eagles ReportYahoo Eagles Depth ChartYahoo Eagles TransactionsYahoo Eagles PhotosOdds About Masthead Community Guidelines StubHub ✕How the heck is the Eagles’ cornerback position going to play out? New Black Chuck Bednarik Jerseys ,96commentsEagles training camp position preview: Cornerback.EDTShare this storyShare this on FacebookShare this on TwitterShareAll sharing optionsShareAll sharing options for:How the heck is the Eagles’ cornerback position going to play out? TwitterFacebookRedditPocketFlipboardEmailPhoto by John Jones/Icon Sportswire via Getty ImagesPhiladelphia Eagles training camp is almost here. Players report to the NovaCare Complex on Wednesday, July 24. As we count down the days together, Bleeding Green Nation will be previewing every position on the Eagles roster. We continue today by taking a look at the cornerback position. Previously: Quarterback | Running back | Wide receiver | Tight end | Offensive line | Defensive end | Defensive tackle | Linebacker.
    The playersRONALD DARBYMost Eagles fans were fine to see Darby, who suffered a season-ending ACL injury in November 2018, leave the team during the 2019 offseason. The expectation was that his market would price himself beyond what the Eagles could reasonably pay and Philly would be better off trying to collect a 2020 compensatory draft pick. But that’s not what happened. Darby ended up settling for a one-year, prove-it deal (worth around $6.5 million plus incentives) with the Eagles. The team wanted to keep him around more than most expected.As such, a healthy Darby figures to be a starting corner for the Eagles in 2019. It’s just a matter of when he’s going to be ready to get back on the field. Darby warmed up with the team and did some position drills during spring practices, so a Week 1 return doesn’t seem off the table. 2019 is a big year for Darby. He’s hoping to test the free agent market again in search of a big deal next offseason. He’ll have to be more consistently good than he was in 2018. He’ll also have to stay healthy after previously missing eight games in 2017 and seven in 2018. Darby has talent. The pressure is on the 25-year-old needs to put it together this year.JALEN MILLSMills is arguably the least divisive player on the roster. Oh, sorry, I meant to type “most.”Mills’ biggest stans will point to how he’s really good in the red zone. And they’re not wrong about that.On the flip side, Mills’ biggest detractors will point out how he gets torched and gives up too many big plays. They argue he should benched, if not cut entirely. It’s clear where Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz stands on Mills. Schwartz believes in the Green Goblin as a starter for this defense. And so, if Mills is healthy Chuck Bednarik Jerseys 2019 , I’d expect him to be starting opposite of Darby just like he was in 2018. But that’s the thing. When is Mills going to be healthy? He sure didn’t participate in spring drills; he was hardly even present on the sidelines at practice. I can’t shake what Dave Spadaro wrote about Mills earlier this offseason:I could be wrong but I don’t think it’s impossible that Mills could start the 2019 regular season on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. If that’s the case, Mills would be able to return to the 53-man roster by Week 7 at the earliest. If Mills has to miss significant time, there’s a chance someone could play well and steal his starting job during his absence. The timing of that wouldn’t be a great development for Mills, who is entering the last year of his rookie contract. AVONTE MADDOXMaddox was one of the top performers from OTAs/minicamp this year. Maddox often lined up as the Eagles’ nickel cornerback during spring practices but he also took reps on the outside when the defense went down to two corners. He did not take safety reps. At the very least, Maddox should be the Eagles’ primary slot corner in 2019. He probably deserves an even bigger role than that, though, and that should show during training camp/preseason games. The Eagles won’t have any choice but to play him if he keeps making plays.I’m really excited to watch Maddox in Year 2. SIDNEY JONESFor the second offseason in a row, Jones failed to stand out during spring practice ... good or bad. Jones did take a lot of first team outside corner reps with Mills and Darby not practicing. He also managed to stay healthy, which is pretty important for a player who’s missed 72% of possible games in his career. Jones notably appeared to be behind his teammates on the depth chart, though. When the Eagles would go down to two cornerback packages, it was Maddox and Douglas on the outside with Jones coming off the field.There’s reason to believe in Jones’ upside. He only turned 23 in May and 2018 was essentially his rookie season. He could get better with experience.But Jones must stay healthy. He might also need to stay patient because it’s unclear exactly how he fits into this year’s corner puzzle. When Darby gets healthy, he could replace Jones on the first team with Douglas starting opposite and Maddox in the slot. With a strong summer showing, though Youth Jake Elliott Jerseys , Jones could make the case to have Darby replace Douglas.Jones not playing a ton in 2019 hardly means his Eagles career is over. He could be an important player to have around for 2020 since Darby and Mills could both leave in free agency after this season. RASUL DOUGLASSuuuuul has had a good offseason. After playing well down the stretch in 2018, Douglas impressed while running with the first team defense during OTAs/minicamp. The 23-year-old defender is in line to be a Week 1 outside starter if at least one of Darby or Mills isn’t ready to play. Douglas could even be more than just a temporary starter if he plays well enough to force the coaching staff to keep hm on the field.Douglas is aggressive and he’s bound to get beat at times. But he has the ability to make up for those moments by making plays on the ball. CRE’VON LEBLANCSTRAP! The Eagles’ own Mike Scott-esque folk hero is back with the team after standing out late last year. Barring injury, LeBlanc won’t be playing as much as he did in 2018. He might just be a backup slot corner who mainly plays on special teams. In any case, we know that Strap will be ready when his number is called. JOSH HAWKINSYou may remember Hawkins from the time a myriad of Eagles cornerback injuries forced Jim Schwartz to play him at corner in the Eagles’ playoff loss to the Saints. Not exactly ideal! Hawkins is back this summer to try he proves he belongs on the roster. The 26-year-old had some nice moments in OTAs/minicamp but he has an uphill battle to make the team. JEREMIAH MCKINNONMcKinnon originally joined the Eagles’ practice squad back in late November 2018. The 26-year-old stood out during spring drills but so did De’Vante Bausby last year. We’ll see if McKinnon similarly fades when the pads go on in camp. Even if he does look good, it’s hard to see how McKinnon fits on the 53-man roster with so many other corners ahead of him. Might make sense for the practice squad again if he clears waivers. JAY LIGGINSJamalcolm Liggins received the third smallest amount of guaranteed money out of all the Eagles’ undrafted rookie free agent signings. The Dickinson State (NAIA) alumnus is among the longest of long shots on the roster. How will it play out?Great question. There isn’t a more fluid position on the Eagles’ roster. Just a lot of moving pieces in this equation.My best guess is that Darby will be one of the two outside starters. He might miss a game or two but I think he’ll be ready to play at some point in September. Douglas will then start opposite of Darby with Maddox working in the nickel. Maddox will also see some playing time on the outside. Jones is then the fourth corner behind those three.I’ll guess that Mills goes on PUP. He may or may not have a chance to get his starting job back depending on how players are performing when he’s ready to return.Strap will be a fifth or sixth corner to have. Overall, there’s uncertainty with this group. It’s hard to have a ton of confidence when you don’t even know what the lineup is going to look like. The good news is that a lot of these players are young and have upside. The bad news is they’re hardly all proven commodities so you don’t know exactly what to expect.Training camp and preseason games will be important when it comes to getting a better read on the Eagles’ corner situation. That is, for the sake of observers and the team alike. Who could be a surprise cut?LeBlanc getting cut would be the only thing that qualifies as a feasible surprise here. I don’t see it, though. Maybe the Eagles could get good value by trading him to a team desperate for corner help? Probably not.Speaking of trades, maybe the Eagles would be open to moving Jones? Maybe Joe Douglas would be willing to take that risk for the Jets? Something to ponder.Hawkins or McKinnon making the team could be a “surprise addition.” Their chances could be helped by Mills going on PUP. We’re just a couple days away from July 4th, so I’m turning the table from some on-the-field questions to player-related celebration ones. So, over the next couple of days we’re going to talk about..." />Skip to main contentclockmenumore-arrownoyesBleeding Green Nation homepageHorizontal - WhiteBleeding Green Nationa Philadelphia Eagles communityFollow Bleeding Green Nation online:Follow Bleeding Green Nation on TwitterFollow Bleeding Green Nation on FacebookLog in or sign upLog InSign UpSite searchSearchSearchBleeding Green Nation main menuFanpostsFanshotsEaglesOddsAboutMastheadCommunity GuidelinesStubHubMoreAll 321 blogs on Horizontal - WhiteFanposts Fanshots Eagles StoriesScheduleRosterStatsYahoo Eagles NewsYahoo Eagles Team PageYahoo Eagles ReportYahoo Eagles Depth ChartYahoo Eagles TransactionsYahoo Eagles PhotosOdds About Masthead Community Guidelines StubHub ✕Eagles Question of the Day: Which player would you invite to your 4th of July party?New,48commentsEDTShare this storyShare this on FacebookShare this on TwitterShareAll sharing optionsShareAll sharing options for:Eagles Question of the Day: Which player would you invite to your 4th of July party?TwitterFacebookRedditPocketFlipboardEmailPhoto by Maddie Meyer - FIFA/FIFA via Getty ImagesWe’re just a couple days away from July 4th, so I’m turning the table from some on-the-field questions to player-related celebration ones. So Jake Elliott Jerseys Stitched , over the next couple of days we’re going to talk about who would be the best grill-master, and who would put on the best fireworks display, but today we’re starting a bit smaller.I have no doubt that most of the Eagles roster would be a blast if they attended my 4th of July cookout, and I would put money on more than a few showing up in a flag tank top while rocking a pair of jorts (the ever-classic jean shorts). But, if I could invite just one current player to the party, I’d have to go with Zach Ertz. There is one very big reason for my choice, and that is by extending the invite to Zach, there’s a good chance his wife Julie would also attend. And, I’d do just about anything to get to party with Julie Ertz. Plus, they both probably have some epic America apparel from the World Cup celebrations.
    Which player would you invite to your 4th of July party?Sound off in the comments!
      November 12, 2019 5:43 PM PST